Lemon Kefir Cookies Make Mouths WaterNov
11/24/2009 11:07 AM
You know that mouth-watering, deliciously mouth-puckering feeling you get when you bite into a creamy sweet lemon bar or have a bite of tart lemon meringue pie? We love that feeling! That’s why we’re really excited for this new Lemon Kefir Cookie recipe, developed by the National Cookie Network.
Lemon Kefir Cookies
2 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup soft butter
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup kefir
Zest of one lemon
Powdered sugar glaze ingredients
2 tablespoons kefir
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
1. In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients except sugar, blend well.
2. With an electric mixer whip sugar and butter together until fluffy. Then add the oil, egg, kefir, vanilla and zest of one lemon. Mix until just blended.
3. Slowly pour kefir to the dough as the mixer blends. Then, slowly add the dry mixture about ½ cup at a time until blended. Stop mixing the moment everything is incorporated.
4. Separate dough into three parts and chill in separate bowls for four hours.
5. After the dough has chilled, remove and work with only one bowl of dough at a time. “Flour” your counter with confectioners sugar.
6. Roll your dough to about ¼ inch thickness and cut out your cookies.
Side note: Try using a thin off-set spatula to lift your cookies off your counter top. The dough can be a bit sticky. If it’s too sticky, add more confectioners sugar.
6. Bake for 6 – 8 minutes, or just until the edges are starting to turn golden brown.
7. Cool cookies completely.
8. Whisk all glaze ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.
9. Generously brush glaze on with a basting brush, and allow to dry.
10. The can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, in a Tupperware container. Separate your cookies with a layer of parchment paper in between each layer of cookies.