By LifeWayKefir LifeWayKefir on 3/7/2014 1:37 AM
Looking for new ways to get your daily dose of immunity-building probiotics?
Lifeway has developed three new varieties of kefir that deliver a trio of fresh choices for drinking to your health. The new stevia-sweetened, oat-enriched and veggie kefirs will be released this spring in 10 fun flavors – the better to start your day, have a guilt-free snack, or add a probiotic boost to any meal.
The latest additions to Lifeway’s collection of kefir products will be previewed at Booth #3448 at the Natural Products Expo West trade show the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, CA, March 6-9 and hitting store shelves later this year!
If you can’t wait to try a delectable new kefir treat, look out for Lifeway Frozen Kefir in pints (Original, Mango, Strawberry, and Pomegranate) and bars (Vanilla, Pear, Coconut, and Raspberry Green Tea) in your grocer’s freezer section! They offer all the tart and tangy probiotic goodness of our smoothies and are fabulously frozen!
Better yet, if you’re headed to SXSW, grab a cool frozen kefir bar from a friendly Lifeway rep, before they get too hot. We’ll be set up at the event for you to get your probiotic fix!
Read on for details on our newest kefir varieties!
· Lifeway Perfect 12 Kefir sweetened with stevia – a perfect combination of 12 probiotic cultures, 12 grams of carbs, and all-natural sweetening with no-calorie stevia leaf extract and no added sugar. The line features the distinctive tart and tangy taste of kefir, 110 calories per serving, and four flavors inspired by dessert favorites: Orange Cream, Apple Pear Cobbler, Triple Berry Tart and Key Lime Pie. Available in 32 oz bottles.
· Lifeway Kefir with Oats – a fiber bonanza featuring 1.5 grams of soluble oat powder that packs the nutritional punch of oatmeal – without the cooking! With a smooth texture and a hint of oat flavor plus 11 grams of complete protein, this ”oat kefir” offers a choice of breakfast-friendly Blueberry Maple, Apple Cinnamon and Vanilla Plum flavors for a complete on-the-go breakfast or a great midday pick-me-up. Available in 8 oz individual bottles and four-packs.
· Lifeway Veggie Kefir– a savory blend of vegetable juices and kefir that lets you drink your probiotics and your veggies at the same time. This new superfood delivers one full serving of vegetables as well as the full nutritional kick of kefir in every 8 oz glass and comes in Tomato, Cucumber and Beet varieties that burst with garden-fresh flavor – no sugar or salt added. Available in 8 oz individual bottles and four-packs.
By LifeWayKefir LifeWayKefir on 3/5/2014 1:41 PM
Nutrition labels can be confusing – even dietitians themselves confess to getting tripped up from time to time. If someone with years of experience and education has trouble deciphering serving size or understanding the difference between “Sugars” and “Added Sugars,” what does that mean for the rest of us?
That’s why we were excited to learn about the FDA’s proposed changes to the black and white label we see plastered on every bottle and box at the supermarket. Among the improvements:
Read More »
By LifeWayKefir LifeWayKefir on 3/3/2014 9:37 AM
Lasagna is great comfort food that you can prepare ahead of time and make when you have a busy day. It’s typically filled with cheese, which can get pretty heavy on the calories. At Lifeway, we like to switch things up and slip in our Farmer Cheese into any recipe possible. We found that incorporating Farmer Cheese into our Lasagna Roll Ups helped slash some calories but didn’t take away from the cheesy goodness Lasagna has.
What you’ll need:
9 lasagna noodles
1 24oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce (store bought or homemade)
1 lb of Lifeway Farmer Cheese
½ bag of spinach – fresh or frozen
1 clove of fresh garlic, chopped
1 Tbs grated parmesan
1 Tsp basil
Salt / pepper to taste
Shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Cook noodles in a large pot of water until al dente. Drain and let noodles set in cold water for a minute or two. Lay out on paper towels to dry.
2. Preheat oven to 350 and grab a 9”x11” glass dish.
3. Rinse and chop the fresh spinach. In a bowl, mix spinach, Farmer Cheese, egg, garlic, parmesan, basil, and salt and pepper.
4. Pour a layer of sauce in the bottom of the glass dish.
5. Lay a piece of wax paper on the counter for your noodles. Spread about two to three tablespoons of the mixture evenly onto the noodle. Make sure the noodle is covered but not too thick.
6. Roll the noodle and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
7. Once all noodles are rolled and placed in glass dish, ladle the sauce onto each roll. This should only take 1 jar of sauce to cover the entire dish.
8. Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top of each roll.
9. Cover dish with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
By LifeWayKefir LifeWayKefir on 2/28/2014 10:15 AM
Lifeway is heading to New York City this weekend for The Kids Food Festival! We'll be sampling our newest ProBugs Organic on-the-go Blasts in out-of-this-world flavors!
When kids are immersed in enjoyable activities, they absorb and retain information more effectively. The Kids Food Festival embodies this philosophy of learning through fun with its weekend full of family-‐ friendly events at Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park in New York City. This March 1st and 2nd, families will cook, dance, laugh, and taste their way to making balanced food choices! At the Kids Food Festival, presented by The Creative Kitchen, kids engage all five senses through hands-‐on, food-‐related activities.
General admission to the event is free, and tickets to the hands-‐on cooking classes in the James Beard Foundation Future Foodies Pavilion can be purchased at http://bit.ly/KvR2Hp. The KFF is excited to support the Alliance for a Healthier Generation.
Visit www.kidsfoodfestival.com, or the Kids Food Festival Facebook page, and on Twitter at @KidsFoodFestFun!
By LifeWayKefir LifeWayKefir on 2/25/2014 6:37 AM
The Underwoods' top shelf isn't complete with our their Lifeway Lowfat Pomegranate Kefir
House of Cards came back with a bang a few weeks ago, with the entire second season coming to Netflix. Social media feeds exploded with statuses announcing retreat from real life and into the Netflix looking glass where Kevin Spacey has a southern accent and answers to nobody. The nation binged and felt great about it. It is a smart show after all.
Is binging on the Underwood's favorite probiotic beverage just as satisfying? When it comes to diet, binge is a strong word and we would never advocate such extreme eating habits, but people love Lifeway Kefir so much, they often ask, how much is too much?
The simple answer is you can’t overdose on kefir so you can drink up until you are full, satisfied, and refreshed! If you have a sensitive tummy and are new to fermented foods, the live cultures might throw off your digestive rhythm a little, so it may be wise to start with a small amount daily and let your body adjust to a full 8 ounce serving over time. Our fans report achieving a balanced sense of well being by making Lifeway kefir a daily habit for a few weeks.
Sounds like we can save the binging for streaming serials and stick with kefir as a part of a balanced diet.
By LifeWayKefir LifeWayKefir on 2/24/2014 4:37 AM
Lifeway recently brought our flavor lab back to one of Common Threads’ kitchens for another round of kefir flavor experimentation. The students had a blast mixing mango with cherry, chocolate with peppermint, and a slew of other deliciously daring combinations, inspired by their after-school snack, Peach Mango Moon ProBugs Blast.
The tiny chefs also donned crisp new Lifeway aprons, used full-sized chef’s knives (no cuts!) and baked some incredible chicken quesadillas with guacamole on the side. Rising star Gianna taught us how to remove an avocado pit without any risk of injury – hold the avocado half in the palm of your hand and squeeze gently until the pit pops out! Chef Jerry (maker of a delicious Garlic and Tomato Tart with Farmer Cheese) gave a great lesson on knife skills.
If your collection of flavor concentrates isn’t as broad as Lifeway’s, you can still have fun with kefir in the kitchen. You can use it instead yogurt, buttermilk, sour cream, or mayo in many recipes as a light, tangy alternative. We will keep the great recipes coming on our blog and you can also follow our CEO Julie Smolyansky on Twitter as she begins testing recipes for her upcoming kefir cookbook!
By LifeWayKefir LifeWayKefir on 2/21/2014 8:49 AM
The South Beach Wine & Food Festival is underway and Lifeway is excited to get our toes in the sand and some delicious wine and food in our mouths as we head down to Miami for some foodie and fitness events.
The Grand Tasting is heating up on the beach, so we’re bringing some Lifeway Frozen Kefir to help our guests cool down in the hot sun on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, February 21-23.
On Saturday and Sunday, we’ll have a few Lifeway pros brings some ProBugs for the little ones at the Fun and Fit as a Family event. We’re excited to see the delicious demos by chefs Robert Irvine, Giada De Laurentiis, Andrew Zimmern, Aaron Sanchez, and Rocco DiSpirito.
To start the morning off right on Saturday and Sunday, we’ll be at Yogart Presents Buddhas and Bellinis. Miami’s amazing yoga instructor Dawn B. will be leading the morning practice with DJ Drez and MC Yogi providing an electrifying and enlightening soundtrack. Every budding Buddha will get to take home their Lifeway Yoga Mat and keep their digestion balanced with a taste of our famous cultured kefir beverage.
Pack some recipe cards and some SPF and say hi to Lifeway at the SoBe Wine & Food Festival this weekend!
By LifeWayKefir LifeWayKefir on 2/20/2014 12:17 PM
As legend has it, George Washington chopped down his father’s prized cherry tree. But all was not lost: Little Georgie told the truth when asked who was responsible, bringing a smile to his dad’s face and warming his heart. In Honor of George “The Machete” Washington’s upcoming birthday, we’ve scoured the web for some prized cherry treats to pass along to you. Although, truth be told, we cannot tell a lie: We have not tested all of them, so be sure to let us know if you give any a whack.
Read More »
By LifeWayKefir LifeWayKefir on 2/20/2014 12:14 PM
It's been so cold in Chicago, all our groceries freeze solid by the time we get home! To use up some of our bounty of frozen fruit, we created this delicious and refreshing berry peach smoothie recipe. Nothing brightens up a cold winter day like a tutti frutti beverage and a few fresh flowers!
Frozen Tundra Smoothie
8oz Low Fat plain kefir
2 tsp honey
½ cup of fresh or frozen Strawberries
½ cup of frozen berries
1 cup frozen sliced peaches
** You can always switch up the fruit or proportions, depending on how thick or fruity you want it.
1. If you’re using frozen fruit, leave at room temperature for 20 minutes or so to soften up.
2. Wash and rinse any fresh fruit
3. Add the kefir and fruit to the blender and blend.
4. While blending, add the water and honey. You can add more water for a thinner consistency, or less if you’d like it thicker.
Serve chilled and enjoy!
By LifeWayKefir LifeWayKefir on 2/19/2014 11:30 AM
Team USA is really killing it on the slopes, on the ice, and in the air at this year’s Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia. It looks to us like athletes from all over the world are bringing top level skills and grade A determination to the games, so we thought we’d share a few of our favorite Lifeway office good luck rituals to give our guys and gals an edge. Lifeway’s expertise on Russian superstitions traces all the way back to our founder’s hometown of Kiev in the former Soviet Union.
Here are some simple things athletes should make sure NOT to do in Sochi this winter, lest they be cursed with a spate of bad luck:
Eat off of a knife
Put your keys on a table
Sit at the corner of a table
Put an empty bottle on a table
Take a shot of vodka without giving a toast
Return to your home to retrieve a forgotten item without looking in the mirror when you reenter
Take out the trash at night
Accept knives as a gift
Leave home to travel without sitting down in the living room just before leaving the house
If you slip up, there is a simple fix: knock on wood and spit - just be careful to be sportsmanlike about it!